Monday, April 20, 2009

Celebrating the NIC’s First 100 Years

Count me among those who believe in the power of the fraternity experience to change individual lives, institutions of higher education, and the greater society in which we live.


Count me among those who ardently defend our constitutional freedom to associate and never hesitate to remind others of that right.


Count me among those who believe that the Undergraduate Interfraternity Institute has been the hallmark of fraternity education since its inception, and thankful that its teachings have been widely distributed.


Count me among those who believe that fraternity is a movement.


Count me among those who are enlivened by spirited debate, excited by diverse opinions, and inspired when uncommon entities can unite under a banner of principles.


Count me among those who believe in the teachings of Ritual.


Count me among those who believe in courageous acts that push boundaries and champion causes that may be unpopular, but absolutely vital.


Count me among those who feel that philosophical models, such has year-round recruitment, expectations for membership, standards of excellence, and values congruence, have elevated fraternities in permanent and powerful ways.


Count me among those who love my fraternity and the spirit of interfraternalism as well.


And count me among those who know that these beliefs have been promoted, sustained, and in many cases made possible by the efforts of the North American Interfraternity Conference, since its creation in 1909.  With admiration for all that’s been done, and excitement for what is yet to come, count me among those who proudly celebrate the NIC on its 100th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment